Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Making one really big cookie!

I seem to have accidentally stumbled onto a very simple, fun and delicious way to make people happy!  It all began when I attempted to meet my niece, Morgan, in Glasgow after she had spent a few days in London..  Since she was supposed to arrive around lunchtime, I jumped on a bus and spent a lovely morning shopping!  One place I spent some relaxing time was in Lakeland.  This is a fabulous place if you like to cook.  It has an amazing assortment of anything you never knew you needed in your kitchen!  And there was a sale!  I did exercise loads of self control and picked up and put down lots of things I didn't need! The one thing that did not get put down was a heart shaped pizza/cookie pan.  One of those essential kitchen items!  But, Valentine's Day was coming up, so why not make Alan a big cookie?

The night before Valentine's Day, we suddenly found ourselves with our grandson spending the night!      Corbyn and I had a discussion about what to do for his Mum for Valentine's and he decided to make a cookie too!

The funny thing was - we agreed to wait until Alan had left for the afternoon.  But as soon as he left to walk our dog, Corbyn came crashing into the kitchen ready to start!  I didn't want to dampen his enthusiasm, so Alan returned to a very busy kitchen!  And I lost the element of surprise.  Oh well, the price grandparents pay!

Icing a large cookie is harder than expected!


The heart shaped cookie was non-negotiable even though Corbyn loves to give his Mum hearts.  He actually came out better, in a little boy's world, by using a regular pizza pan, which is bigger than the heart!
Getting a bit of help to start decorating

Doing his best!

Corbyn's finished product!


We had so much fun doing these cookies that I decide to make another one for my manager, whose last day at my work is my first day on a cruise ship!  As a result, I am missing the official leaving do. But my "team" decided to have an alternative do.  It wasn't meant to be exclusively our team, but no one else was able to go. We just went to our very local and fabulous restaurant:  Garfield's.



Before leaving the office though, I had hand carried this huge pizza pan full of cookie from Ayr to Ardrossan on the train.  Boy had I not thought about the awkwardness of that when I decided not to take my car!
But it was worth it to see the look of surprise on Sarah's face.  






The really funny thing was the way Sarah cut her cookie - like a pizza!  So 11 of us got a large slice of cookie!  There was one piece left and I cut it into 5 pieces before giving it to Sarah to take home!











What is the is the best thing to do after gorging your self on a large slice of cookie?  Go to Garfield's for tapas and cocktails!


The food and drinks were delicious. Funny thing though, it was only Sarah and myself that could actually drink!  With the new Scottish laws about how much alcohol is allowed in a driver's blood stream, practically zero, unless you are not driving at all, you cannot risk even one drink.  Never mind, the Project Team had a fantastic time together.  Turned out to a tremendous evening and we hope to repeat this again soon. And we will invite our friend, Sarah, since she will no longer be our manager!



Good luck in your new role, Sarah.  Your Project Team will miss you!



Whoop!  Almost forgot to include the recipe!  

Chocolate Chip Cookie - Pizza size!

Adapted from a Nestle's bag of chocolate chips.  I have tried to convert American measurements to British, but these measurements are my own and done in good faith!

1 cup plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (195g plain flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick/113g) butter (I always use unsalted butter)
1/2 cup (126g) brown sugar
1/3 cup (73g) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup (6 oz) chocolate chips
1/2 cups chopped nuts (Optional and I did not use)

Preheat oven to 375F/170C.

Sift dry ingredients - flour, baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)  and salt in small bowl.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugars and vanilla until creamy.  Add egg.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture gradually, adding small amounts and mixing well before adding more.

Add chocolate chip and nuts, if using.

If making cookies, drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Pan Cookie Variation:  
Follow same instructions.
Using baking parchment, line a pizza pan and spread cookie dough to the edge. (this is harder than it sounds!)
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes (I baked for 15 minutes), until golden brown.  Cool in pan on wire rack.

Enjoy!



The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.  ~Arnold Toynbee







No comments:

Post a Comment