Sunday, February 15, 2015

Basic Macaroni and Cheese

In these cold days of Winter, something simple, warm and filling seemed to be needed!  So I went to one of my old and trusty cookbooks from my high school days in the '70's!  The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book to be exact.  If you go into book stores even today, a very similar edition of this cookbook can be found, but I love this old friend!

This is always a success and everyone who has ever had my macaroni and cheese enjoys it. That is not always the case with my many experiments, so I treasure these simple recipes!  And the ingredients are almost always just sitting in your kitchen waiting to be used!  So here is a very easy and satisfying recipe for you to try!

I have also tried to convert the few measurements required so no one is limited to using only cups.  And at the end is the recipe with no photo for easy copying!

Macaroni and Cheese adapted from the 1972 edition of The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

Oven temp -  350F/170C                                Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:

This is actually the ingredients for doubling the recipe!
I was feeding too many people for only 6 servings!
1 1/2 cups / 247g  elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons / 42.5g butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour/ plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
2 cups / 500ml milk  (I used skimmed milk)
1/4 cup chopped onion (optional and I didn't use this but it was about half an onion, before I changed my mind about using it!)
8 oz / 227g sharp process American cheese (I used Red Leicester instead)  cubed to approx 2 cups!




1.  Cook macaroni according to instructions on package and then drain thoroughly.

2.  In a different pan, melt the butter and slowly blend in the flour, salt and pepper.

3.  Add milk to the butter mixture, just a little at a time to prevent lumps forming in the sauce.  Once this is completely mixed in, heat until the sauce is thick enough to be noticeable on the back of your spoon.

4.  If you are using onion, now is the time to add this, along with the cheese.

5.  Once cheese is melted, mix the cheese sauce with the drained macaroni.

6.  Pour the mixture into a suitable sized casserole dish. The recipe states a 1 1/2 quart casserole, but I just use what looks like the right size!

7.  Some people like sliced tomatoes on the top of macaroni and cheese. This has never been a favourite at our house and I never do this!

7. Bake time is about  35 - 40 minutes but keep an eye on it to prevent the top getting too browned.


This recipe was very popular within my family and I have decided to always double it.  Then I will not bake it in one large casserole dish but a variety of small dishes, that can be frozen and ready for busy days!


"I am not one to turn down macaroni and cheese, even late at night. I love Italian food. I love pasta... A refrigerator full of water and Gatorade? Honey, that's just not gonna happen."








No comments:

Post a Comment