Saturday, July 12, 2014

Tomato and Corn Salad

After a lovely fortnight in Orlando, we are back home and watching the runner up World Cup game on tv and dealing with our jet lag.  Ok, when I say lovely time, I mean hectic, exhausting, hot, busy and a very, very special  trip.  But I felt the need to try some new recipes!
We went with the main purpose of our 5 year old grandson being introduced to Mickey Mouse and the wonders of Disney and also the chance to spend some time with his American family.  I have not caught up with the blog about that but will do that soon!

Whenever I go home, I do binge on American magazines and this trip was no exception.  I did limit myself to 4 (mainly due to the luggage allowance restrictions!) and am really looking forward to working through them all.  Yesterday, while lying in the sun in my backyard in Scotland ( really!), I discovered this very simple recipe and tried it tonight.

It could not have been easier and is delicious!  It calls for fresh corn cut from about 6 ears, but we do not often have fresh corn on the cob here, and it is a bit too pricey to just cut the corn off. So I used large cans of corn instead.

As always, a plain recipe with no notes or photos will follow at the end.

This if from the July issue of Woman's Day:


Tomato and Corn Salad  

Serves 12









In a large bowl, combine 6 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 6 ears), 2 lbs cherry tomatoes (halved), 4 scallions (thinly sliced), 4 jalapeños (seeded and thinly sliced), 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

I only had 1 1/2 lbs tomatoes so used 2 large cans of corn with this.  I also did not add jalapeño peppers just because I was not in the mood for this tonight.  But I am sure they would be great in this salad!  

Mixing in a clear plastic bowl, you can see the layers before I mix it up - 

Serve with grilled steak or chicken for an easy weeknight meal.


“That sure is swell!”   Mickey Mouse


Tomato and Corn Salad  

Serves 12

In a large bowl, combine 6 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 6 ears), 2 lbs cherry tomatoes (halved), 4 scallions (thinly sliced), 4 jalapeños (seeded and thinly sliced), 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

Serve with grilled steak or chicken for an easy weeknight meal.







No comments:

Post a Comment