Saturday, March 22, 2014

Houmous and Slaw Sandwich

I have been fairly good about following my eating plan for this week.  It does feel much better to eat such healthy food.  I know this, but sometimes the temptations are just too much!  However, I have virtually maintained my goal weight for 2 years, so I am hoping this new focus gets me back on track.   I lost my way for a while.....

The recipe I am sharing today is another WeightWatchers' recipe.  This one came from the leaflet we receive at meetings.  The subject of that meeting was lunch.  The one I picked was just the first one and using cooked beetroot, not pickled beetroot (in the US we would just say Beets, not beetroot!).  It specifically says not to use beets cooked in vinegar.  Since I have only purchased pickled beets, I did not know if I could even locate this.  But cooked beetroot is in the fresh vegetable sections of grocery stores.  There were 2 different packages available, but one had vinegar.  So if you try to find this, make sure you read the ingredients.

According to my scale, this is what is called for in the recipe.
That is why I decided to double this!  Why use 1/2 a beetroot?
The other words of wisdom I have about this recipe is that it does not make much, so I doubled it!  In WW there are foods you can eat in unlimited quantities, mainly  most fruits and vegetables.  These are highlighted in green in their recipes indicating "Filling and Healthy".  All the ingredients, with the exception of the houmous, are highlighted in green.  So I decided to double the carrots and beets.  I will write this recipe as it is published in the leaflet, but keep in mind, it really does not matter how many you actually put in!




The bread is listed a WW bread, but I used another calorie counted bread because the price was better.  Again, if it is calorie counted, it should be ok, if you are using this as a diet lunch.  If not, just use any bread!

As usual, the recipe with no photos or comments will follow at the end.

Houmous and Slaw     6pp per serving  Serves 2  

10 minutes to prepare, approximately 45pence per serving

45g carrot, grated   (I used 2 carrots)
40g beetroot, coarsely grated  ( I used a whole beetroot)
1 spring onion, sliced  (2 spring onions!)
4 slices WeightWatchers Thick Sliced Wholemeal Bread
75g reduced fat houmous

1.  Place the carrot, beetroot and spring onion in a bowl. Season, mix together and divide between 2 slices of bread.

2.  Divide the houmous between the sandwiches and cover the remaining slices of bread.  Halve and serve.  Alternatively, wrap, chill and eat within 6 hours.


Instead of making the sandwich and wrapping it to take to lunch, I mixed the vegetables and houmous together and then made the sandwich when I was ready to eat lunch.  Seems less likely to have a soggy sandwich then!  Plus, if at all possible, I prefer to toast my bread!

How ever you decide to transport or eat it, enjoy!  This was a nice change and extremely quick and easy to make!


"Ask not what you can do for your country.  Ask what's for lunch."  
Orson Welles


Houmous and Slaw     6pp per serving  Serves 2  

10 minutes to prepare, approximately 45pence per serving

45g carrot, grated
40g beetroot, coarsely grated
1 spring onion, sliced
4 slices WeightWatchers Thick Sliced Wholemeal Bread
75g reduced fat houmous

1.  Place the carrot, beetroot and spring onion in a bowl. Season, mix together and divide between 2 slices of bread.

2.  Divide the houmous between the sandwiches and cover the remaining slices of bread.  Halve and serve.  Alternatively, wrap, chill and eat within 6 hours.

"Ask not what you can do for your country.  Ask what's for lunch."  
Orson Welles

No comments:

Post a Comment