Thursday, February 13, 2014

New York City in February!

For my 60th birthday, Alan and I decided to spend 5 nights in NYC!  This sounded very exciting, but due to my work commitments, we had to wait until mid-Feb to go.  Not a problem said I.....average temperatures look to be around 40F.

Did I take in the polar vortex and bizarre Winter the US has been suffering through into consideration?  Of course not!

But no matter the weather, we are going to have a wonderful time!

We started our journey by spending the night at Glasgow airport Ramada Inn.   Nice hotel, had a few pints in the bar and off to bed!

Thank goodness we did that because I heard from other folks who travelled up in the morning that there was really heavy snow and winds.   We might have struggled to get there on time.  Whew!

Breakfast at a pub in the airport, I got (marginally) healthy porridge.  Always a favorite for me.

Flight uneventful and very smooth.  I watched a variety of movies, beginning with " Last Vegas".  This was as good as the previews made it look.  I hope they have a sequel!   Then "About  Time".   This is about time travel and sweet, but not that great.  I attempted to watch a Robert Redford film called "All is Lost" but the plot was lost on me.  Then "Gravity", another one I was not impressed with.  But I am really looking forward to the movies on the way home!

Our hotel is the Park South Hotel on 28th Street.  Darling!  Gorgeous rooms, nice little bar with a good, free breakfast provided.   Park South Hotel

We got to the hotel about 2:30 and went immediately to B&H, the camera shop Alan loves.  It was a nice walk, past Macy's and the Empire State Building.  On the way home, we wandered through and around the Empire State Building about 8pm. The halls were empty. It was amazing to be able to take the time to look at the ceilings and interesting halls with no one there at all, except for police every so many feet!

Tomorrow, or sometime soon, we will go to the top of the Empire State Building, but we did a lot today and had to stop!

Give me such shows — give me the streets of Manhattan! Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment