Monday, January 27, 2014

Let the birthday celebrations begin!

It is only a few days to go before my "big" birthday!  I am strangely excited about this new chapter in my life.  I don't know why!  But it will be interesting to watch how this new decade evolves.  I know Alan and I are hoping to travel and just have a bit more time together.  Whatever happens, it will be fun!

This weekend was the beginning of my celebrations, and I met my friend, Sue, for coffee and something yummy at one of my favourite restaurants in Ayr  - Filippo's!

We succumbed to the look of this lemon-lime cheesecake and both of us ordered one (each).  We learned this was a mistake, the portion sizes are so big and the cheesecake is so delicious and rich........but there was no way either of us could possibly finish a whole one.  (this might have something to do with both of us going to either Weightwatchers or other slimming clubs!  Our bodies are not used to the size of these portions!)  We did our best though, and made a promise - if we ever do this again, we will split one.  They are too delicious to swear off them forever!  ;-)

Filippo's is also famous for its ice cream - winning many awards through the years. And when we were paying, we noticed they had Haggis ice cream on offer!  Well, it was Roberts Burns' birthday, a big day in Ayrshire especially, although his birthday is celebrated all over the world.  I do like Haggis, in small doses and with "tatties and neeps"  (turnips and potatoes!), but I could not imagine eating Haggis flavoured ice cream....however, my daughter enjoys Haggis a lot, for some reason....so I bought her 2 scoops.  On the way home, I dropped by her place and presented her with this unique snack.  Unfortunately, for her anyway, haggis and ice cream did not mix. But she appreciated the gesture!

My grandson's birthday party was also this weekend and I had to collect the cake on the way there. I couldn't wait to see it!  We have an amazing baker in the area - Fizzy's Icing On The Cake.  She is very creative and will try to design anything you throw at her, including dinosaurs fighting at the base of a volcano!

I took this picture with my phone in the car, after picking it up for the party.  This is the heaviest cake I have ever tried to lift!  There are at least 8 layers and when the 12 pieces were cut for Corbyn's guests, it was as if the cake had not been touched.  This is not a good thing in our family - this week anyway.  This is the week of birthday cakes in the Graham household - with mine only a day away......let us hope mine is just a bit smaller.  I am not really expecting an erupting volcano either! 

He had a very sweet party at Kidz Play, with a few class mates, some family friends and other friends he knows.  I think that is impressive for a little guy. 

But now I have to get ready for work, this last day of my 5th decade!

"Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Jack Benny

 

No comments:

Post a Comment