Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Another High School Memory - Chicken Paprika

To continue the journey through my high school recipe box, the next one is Chicken Paprika from about 1971. 

I have fond memories of cooking this recipe!  I know that sounds odd but this must have been one of the first recipes I found on my own.  (Yes, I did live on my own during my senior year, but that is another story!)  It is easy and delicious.  The really funny thing is my best friend asked me to make it for her dad one time.  It was only recently that I told someone this and they asked me why?  I never questioned why she asked me that.  I am extremely lucky that she and I have never lost touch after all these years, so maybe I should just ask her now!

This card looks really old.  I have no idea where I cut the recipe out from, but it is taped to the index card.  And "back then" no one cared about acid free products to protect precious paper items!  The tape has gone all dark and obscures the edge of the paper.  This makes it very hard to see the number exactly.

Luckily, Alan also enjoyed this, so we will probably not wait over 40 years to make it again!  


Things I might have done wrong this time - I used chicken breasts and not chicken pieces.  They were there so why not?  Next time, I will use what I always used when I was in high school.

And I also picked up the low fat (50% less fat) Crème Fraiche.  Out of habit, I picked up the lowest fat I could find and Crème Fraiche is usually a good substitute for sour cream.  Next time, I will use the real thing. 

And I used egg and spinach tagliatelle for the wide noodles - widest ones I could find!  They were actually ok!

Chicken Paprika

1 chicken cut in serving pieces
1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
2 tsp   paprika  ( I used smoked paprika this time around)
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1/4 finely chopped onion  ( I can't be bothered to measure onions so I just use a whole one)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream  
(sour cream can be difficult to find here, so I substitute Crème Fraiche when necessary)

1/2 8oz package wide noodles

Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp of the paprika.  Heat butter in skillet; add chicken pieces and brown on both sides.  Add onion; cook 2 minutes.  Add water, cover and simmer 30 minutes, until tender.  Remove chicken to serving platter and keep warm.  Add remaining 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika and sour cream to mixture in skillet.  Heat, stirring constantly, do not boil.  Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with wide noodles. 

Yield:  4 servings


Sorry for not having a finished photo to show you, one of those times we were Hungry and I forgot!  I also must apologize for not converting this recipe into metric, another excuse of being in a hurry and also out of the habit of converting. I will do better next time!  Honest.  


Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment